Thursday, January 24, 2013

Famous Lines From Famous Books

First Line: “In the town, there were two mutes and they were always together.”
                This line is from the novel The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, which was published in the year 1940 by the author Carson McCullers who lived from 1917-1967. This author is also known for other works, including The Ballad of the Sad Café and The Member of the Wedding.
                From what I can understand from the several page summaries of this book, the story kind of follows around this deaf mute named Singer, and all the people he touches in his life. They all make him what they want him to be in their lives, despite his obvious lack of communication.
                Upon looking at all the reviews for this novel, it seems that most critics give The Heart is a Lonely Hunter  4 and 5 stars. I actually have yet to come to a review that was lower than that.  According to them, this book is truly a masterpiece.

 Last Line: “Come, children, let us shut up the box and the puppets, for our play is played out.”
                This line is from the novel Vanity Fair: A Novel without a Hero, which was published in the year 1847 by the author William Makepeace Thackeray who lived from 1811 to 1863. This author is also known for other works, including Catherine and The Book of Snobs.
                The book follows two girls, and a never-ending fair held in a town called Vanity to symbolize human’s attachments to physical possessions. It contains a lot of satire, and was written in the 1800’s so I would imagine it might be odd to just pick up and read.
                Many reviews say that it’s almost hard to stay interested in the story because there’s so much drama between the two girls. Naturally, I haven’t read the book so I’m not totally convinced it’s true. Surely if it was that terrible, I wouldn’t have ever heard of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment