Friday, January 18, 2013

Writers As Readers

1.       There are few things better that curling up in front of my fireplace with a blanket, some cookies and a can of soda. I have to be careful though- I just might stay down there for hours!
2.       I really enjoy reading adventure/horror stories. They have just enough excitement to make me want to keep reading, and just enough horror to keep me on my toes. I know a book is really good if it makes me scared while I’m eating cookies!
3.       I would like to say that my writing style is like Stephen King’s, but his is so much better than mine. He can really hook you into a story with his words. He also knows how to make you and the character one. Eventually, it’s not the character in the story having an adventure, it’s you. I really admire that in a writer.
4.        I don’t have a specific memory associated with reading, mostly just because I’ve done it so much. I do recall bawling my eyes out when one of the characters in a book died- I had read about that character for eight books, and it almost felt like I was losing a friend.
5.       The Dark Tower series was a series that took me a couple months to finish, but believe me, that’s a lot of reading. I couldn’t put the things down. I will admit though, the first book of the series wasn’t too enthralling- I really had to work to finish it. After that it was like one after the other.
6.       My first reading teacher was my dad. I remember he used to read us stories before we went to bed. He quit after a while, but it was fun while it lasted. I would say that really influenced my interest in reading.

1 comment:

  1. My son recently sat down on our stairs with one of his little kid books and broke into tears because he was sad that I don't lay in bed and read to him like I did when he was little. He was also sad that he wasn't a little kid anymore. I totally got it...

    I also remember crying at the end of Gone With the Wind. My mother came in because she was worried about me. I was just so sad for the characters and sad for myself because it was over...

    ReplyDelete