Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I am... Sammi Hillen

I am…
I am Sammi Hillen, a weary senior with a passion for music and a newly founded work ethic worth noticing.
I am a quiet wallflower, a hermit and shy, except around people that I both trust and love.
I am a steep build up and an explosion of deep, earth rattling bass.
I am the insect of worry that taps on your brain and keeps you up for hours when all you want to do is sleep.
I am the horrific and gruesome nightmares that prevent the foreign safety of black sleep.
I am catch-up sleep on weekends.
I am twin B to one, who is just like me, but tuned to a different frequency.
I am the soft glow of sunset, signaling fun times and (finally) peace in the thrill of falling into the escape of entertainment and “night life”.
I am annoyed, fed up, put out, bothered, irked, sore, angry, irritated.
I am grateful, joyous, thrilled, happy, content, exhilarated, relieved, ecstatic.
I am the whiplash of spontaneous emotion.
I am always working. And working and working and working and working and working and working.
I am the liberation of a hard day’s work, and the glowing feeling of accomplishment.
I am the harmonious vivid description of monsters, wandering in and out of my Stephen King books.
I am the occasional provider of funds while my mom recovers and gets a job.
I am the enervated remnants of uncertainty and ambivalence present in my mother’s eyes.
I am a torn-off hospital admittance band and hiding in my hoodie all day, every day.
I am constantly cowering from the thought of love; I only remember the hurt.
I am filled with hope that the future will not be as arduous and draining as the past.

9 comments:

  1. Sammi, your poem is full of really good imagery. I especially enjoyed the line about being twin B. The rythm to that line along with the imagery and rhyme is great.

    Ms. Ferkel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauty and honesty here, Sammi. That insect you mention taps on my brain, too...I believe it's led me to a slight dependence on Tylenol PM. :) I admire your work ethic, your contribution to your family, your creativity and your self-awareness. I hear what you're saying about how love(lost) can really sting, but I hope you'll keep your heart open to it in the future. You deserve the bliss it can also bring. Thank you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice poem , you are so unique i love it!





























    A beautiful poem , you are very unique! i love it






    +

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammi, You and I are more alike than we realize. You have a great use of words and are very descriptive. Let's be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammi, Sammi, Sammi, I didn't know you were such a good writer! Keep it up buddy :)
    I'm digging the honest vibe coming from this piece.

    ReplyDelete